Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Being a Kid

This is Josh: As snow falls in Columbus, and much more falls elsewhere, I’m delighted that schools are closed. A snow day for a kid is just about the best thing in the world. It’s not like Christmas, where you look forward to it forever. A snow day is somewhat random, and just unleashes freedom like no other event. Not to mention the snow – snowmen, snowball fights, sledding – these are things that are only possible when the weather randomly makes them possible. And it’s that much greater when you can play in the snow all day on a Tuesday rather than on a Saturday.

It got me thinking about what it’ll be like for our son growing up. Stef and I grew up in the eighties, and we experienced being teenagers in the nineties. I remember a typewriter in the house. Sometime in high school we got the internet. It required that you get a magazine because it literally took ten minutes to load every page. It was revolutionary when I got to college and websites popped up right as you clicked.

All of this is the same as saying “Back in my day, blah blah blah”. I can’t recall this to my kid without sounding old and boring.

These days, kids grow up with keyboards and texting and the internet and it’s changed the way they interact with the world. I imagine it must also change their perspectives on life. This isn’t to say it’s a bad thing. In fact, I think the world is constantly improving, progress is being made, and these technological changes make life better.

From a parenting standpoint, though, I think it might create new challenges. I imagine we have to be a little more proactive about what our 9-year-old is doing for an hour on the internet than we’d have to be if he was watching TV for an hour. So maybe parenting is harder today than it was back in the day? (That question totally acknowledges that I have no idea what it’s like to be a parent, today or back in the day).

On the other hand, it seems that snow days now are the same as snow days in the eighties. So maybe some things don’t change too much. - Josh

2 comments:

  1. I think there is actually a difference between snow days today versus back in the day. In the past it was a lot more common for moms to stay at home. So a day off from school wasn't a huge deal. I know for me, my mom was home. So being sick or having a day off wasn't a big deal in my family. Today, when snow days happen, parents both have to scramble to find someone to stay home with the kids.

    I've now experienced my first series of snow days as a parent and I can say, they suck! It would be different if both of us didn't work. But when daycares and schools close left and right and both parents still have work commitments to fulfill, it just makes for everything to be more stressful. I wish I could just enjoy the snow.

    Granted, I'm hoping we don't face another winter with 3 blizzards! Otherwise, I wouldn't mind the occasional snow day. Snow weeks are another matter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh..I LOVE snow days, weeks whatever! I think it brings out the inner kid in those who let it!

    Yea...i might have to use one of my vacation days (hey thats what they are for) but to look out the window with hot cocoa...or take Ella outside to make snow angel and snowmen..to pelt the hubby in the back with a perfectly round snowball. AHHH that is what life is about. Snow days make people stop obsessing about work for a bit and focus on what is really important...our loved ones.

    I am actually jealous of my daycare...they taught my baby how to make snow angels...wish it had been me. Actually it SHOULD have been me. Thanks for the wake up call Josh...I think I'll stop and pelt Geoff with a cold one right now

    ReplyDelete