Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Enjoying the time

This is Josh: I know I’m not the one who’s body is morphing inside and out, so this may not come as a shock - I am enjoying this time before our child is born. I remember the early days of Stefanie’s pregnancy, where everything was starting from square one and we had a long road ahead of us. There was a lot going on. Now we are entering the third trimester. While I think Stef is experiencing a form of senioritis and can’t believe there’s still months to go before birth, I feel like I’ve hit a peaceful calm before the storm.

This is not to say that I wouldn’t love to have our son magically and healthily appear now, just as if tomorrow were the 40 week mark, because I would. The longer until birth, the longer I have to worry about the baby’s health, even though every checkup gets a thumbs up. (I am told these worries about our child will continue after he is born, on up through high school, but I’ll worry about that later).

This is also not to say that Stefanie is absolutely miserable, because we’re both having a good time hanging out just the two of us. I just think that she would prefer it if she could breathe and walk like normal. If I had to go through that, I wouldn't be too happy, so she's doing a million times better than I would at this pregnancy thing.

In the eternal battle of work versus life, work loses right now. I have actively taken on less work recently, knowing that working endlessly will not be remembered over time, but the final days with my wife before our son is born will be. (I won’t slack off (much), but I also won’t be working every weekend like I was in November and December.) These last days are precious, and while I am not rushing off for a final road trip to discover America or vying to ski across the Alps, I am sharing hot chocolate with Stefanie in our living room. And it's just been really nice. - Josh

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love the image of the two of you sipping hot chocolate and talking about your baby boy. You two are going to be fantastic parents!

    ReplyDelete